[Haskell-cafe] Re: release plans

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 03:51:07 EDT 2007

Chad Scherrer wrote:
>> What do you think of this plan?  Are there features/bug-fixes that you
>> really
> want to see in 6.8?
>
> I'm most anxious for parallel GC - do you think it will be another
> release or two before this is a reality?

The parallel GC code is currently sitting dormant waiting for me to go back to
it and figure out why it isn't performing very well.  Basically I saw little or
no speedup regardless of how many CPUs I threw at it, which suggests that the
bottleneck might be the memory system.  I tried a few things - prefetching, for
example - without much success.

We know this is important, and it remains near the top of the priority list.  At
this stage, I'd say it's unlikely we'll have parallel GC in 6.8, though.

Cheers,
	Simon