[Haskell-cafe] SYB and opaque types

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 10:12:16 EDT 2007

Suppose I need to manually derive Data and Typeable for SourcePos
from Parsec to make sure my code compiles. I won't actually be
running the code I manually derive since the constructor that
includes SourcePos will be skipped.

With Neil Mitchell's (and #haskell) help I'm doing this to strip
token locations from my AST:

import Data.Generics
import qualified Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec as P

instance Data SourcePos where
     gfoldl r k x = k x

typename_SourcePos = mkTyCon "SourcePos"

instance Typeable SourcePos
     where typeOf _ = mkTyConApp typename_SourcePos ([])

strip = everywhere (mkT f)
     where f (TokenPos a _) = a
           f x = x

I know that the warnings about gunfold, toConstr and dataTypeOf are
harmless but how would I define them to avoid the warnings?

Also, the definition of strip above requires -fno-monomorphism-
restriction. Should I not worry about it? The code runs just fine,
locations are being stripped and tests pass.

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/