[Haskell-cafe] How Albus Dumbledore would sell Haskell

Seth Gordon sethg at ropine.com
Wed Apr 18 16:47:05 EDT 2007

Paul Johnson wrote:
>> You cannot win over the entrepreneur with promises of "easier and more
>> robust". This translates to "anyone can do it" and the valuable "trade
>> secret" of arcane wizardry is now devalued.
>
> I suggest reading extracts from "Beating the Averages" by Paul Graham.
> Then explain that Graham only wrote in Lisp because his university
> didn't teach Haskell.

I think a more powerful argument would be to talk about cases where
Haskell is *actually being used* industrially.  E.g., "these folks at
Credit Suisse are using Haskell for their analytics because in their
line of work, if the implementation of the code doesn't match up
perfectly with the spec, their employer could lose millions of dollars,
and the programmers might not notice the bug until those millions were
long gone".