[Haskell-cafe] Tutorial on Haskell

Michael Vanier mvanier at cs.caltech.edu
Wed Apr 18 23:46:36 EDT 2007

As one who teaches programming in a lot of different languages, I can
state unequivocally that strong static typing of the Haskell or Ocaml
variety is (in addition to all its other benefits) a godsend to the
instructor.  So many incorrect ways of writing programs are simply ruled
out right at the start that it makes it easier to concentrate on what
really matters.  The downside is that sometimes you get programmers from
an imperative languages background who cannot figure out why some simple
code is giving them a type error (for instance, by not putting in an
"else" clause in an "if" statement).

Mike