[Haskell-cafe] RE: [Haskell] haskell question

Simon Peyton-Jones simonpj at microsoft.com
Thu Apr 19 04:31:02 EDT 2007

[Redirecting to Haskell Cafe]

Hi Greg

I think it's very likely that you *can* do what you want.   I have not taken long enough to understand just what you are trying to do, but I do know why your program is failing, and I think you'll agree it *should* fail.  Look at these lines (slightly simplified)

class CoreAgentSyntax x where
    offer :: (CoreProcessSyntax p) => [n] -> (p a x) -> x

data MinimalAgentSyntax nn pp = Concretion [nn] pp

instance CoreAgentSyntax (MinimalAgentSyntax nn pp) where
     offer = Concretion

The class decl says that every instance of 'offer' must have type
                forall p, forall n, forall a. (CoreProcessSyntax p) => [n] -> p a x -> x
where x is the instance type.  Not the "forall n"!   Even once x is fixed, we must have a function that is polymorphic in n,p,a

But in your instance declaration, offer = Concretion has the type
                [nn] -> pp -> MinimalAgentSyntax nn pp
No for-alls, because the whole instance decl binds the 'nn'.  Hence it's just not polymorphic enough.

I'm not sure how to fix your problem.  Perhaps you need another argument for CoreAgentSyntax?

class CoreAgentSyntax n x where
    offer :: (CoreProcessSyntax p) => [n] -> (p a x) -> x

instance CoreAgentSyntax nn (MinimalAgentSyntax nn pp) where
     offer = Concretion

now you are in better shape. There's another problem because you use 'p' with kind * in some places and (*->*->*) in others, but thats a separate issue.

Oleg is good at this kind of stuff.

Simon