[Haskell-cafe] question about Data.Binary and Double instance

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Thu Apr 19 08:27:39 EDT 2007

On Thu, 2007-04-19 at 12:23 +0100, Jules Bean wrote:
> Duncan Coutts wrote:
> > Yeah, we've concentrated so far on the serialisation of Haskell values,
> > not reading/writing externally defined binary formats. I don't think
> > we've been especially clear on that. But we do intend to tackle both.

> Speaking for myself, I certainly didn't realise you were intending to
> solve these two different problems. Serialisation and binary data access
> are clearly quite different issues (though it makes sense for the one to
> layer on the other). Perhaps you should (a) be clearer in your
> propaganda and (b) give the two parts different names?

Aye, it was possibly a mistake to call it Data.Binary since people
interpret that to mean whichever of those two problems that person needs
to solve :-). We should rename the Haskell value serialisation part to
Data.Binary.Serialise or something. Then you'll have to decide at the
point you write your imports which kind of problem you're dealing with,
by importing either Data.Binary.Serialise or Data.Binary.Get and .Put.
That should help make it clearer to people.

Duncan