[Haskell-cafe] Is there a best *nix or BSD distro for Haskell hacking?

brad clawsie clawsie at fastmail.fm
Sun Apr 22 10:33:55 EDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 10:07:32AM -0400, Tom Harper wrote:
>  I'd go with the one you feel is the best desktop OS.  For me that
>  usually counts BSD out (great server, bad desktop).

this is not true. freebsd in particular supports all of the latest
free desktops and also has good support for haskell packages:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/ports.cgi?query=haskell&stype=all

the only downside for new users is that freebsd by default does not
use a livecd for installation

ubuntu offers a livecd installation and has a great selection of
haskell packages as well by virtue of its debian roots