[Haskell-cafe] Is there a best *nix or BSD distro for Haskell hacking?

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Sun Apr 22 13:52:21 EDT 2007

On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 10:02:32AM -0400, David Cabana wrote:
> I have a spare Windows machine I want to put to better use.  I want
> to turn it into a Haskell hacking box, and was wondering whether any
> particular *nix or BSD distribution is best (or worst) suited for
> this.  Any thoughts?

I'd like to advocate for Debian Sid.  Probably not the best for random
desktop uses, but you do get haskell packages within weeks of
announce, and there are no freezes or release timelines to annoy you!

PS: I've been running sid for >6mo now with no major system
    malfunctions - don't let the unstable codename scare you off.  Then
    again, my /usr/local/bin/ghc is HEAD installed from source
    biweekly ..

Stefan