[Haskell-cafe] COM and Haskell

Justin Bailey jgbailey at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 11:39:29 EDT 2007

On 4/23/07, Simon Peyton-Jones <simonpj at microsoft.com> wrote:

> I wonder what we (or someone else) could do to make it less work?
>
> Even a 'cookbook' to explain what to do would be jolly useful.

Give me a way to get to the .NET libraries and the world is my oyster ...
Based on my experience using .NET from Ruby (via the RubyCLR library by John
Lam), having access to the .NET libraries allows you to get a lot of useful
work done. Ruby, of course, is extremely flexible  so working with .NET from
it feels very natural, and John did a lot of work to make it that way. It's
like he built an embedded DSL for interacting with .NET. I imagine the same
could be done in Haskell, though it might involve some sort of code
generation technique.

Justin

p.s. Mr. Lam is now working at Microsoft, FYI ...