[Haskell-cafe] COM and Haskell

Andrew Appleyard aja at cse.unsw.edu.au
Mon Apr 23 21:03:53 EDT 2007

On 24/04/2007, at 1:39 am, Justin Bailey wrote:
> Give me a way to get to the .NET libraries and the world is my
> oyster ...

I second that :-)  Such access will probably become more important
over time as Microsoft release more .NET-only libraries (like Windows
Presentation Foundation and Windows Communication Foundation).

Hugs98.NET and GHC's Dotnet foreign calls already allow calling
of .NET methods (although I haven't tried the latter).  These operate
at a rather low-level though.

I'm working on a Haskell to .NET bridge, partially inspired by Lam's
work on RubyCLR, for my undergraduate thesis this year.  Hopefully it
will be a viable option when completed.

> It's like he built an embedded DSL for interacting with .NET. I
> imagine the same could be done in Haskell, though it might involve
> some sort of code generation technique.

A core difficulty is the mismatch between the object-oriented type
system of .NET and Haskell's.  This is something that RubyCLR didn't
need to conquer, Ruby already having object-oriented concepts.

Regards,
Andrew.