[Haskell-cafe] Is Template Haskell a suitable macro language?

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 24 09:23:47 EDT 2007

I'm finding myself dealing with several large abstract syntax trees
that are very similar in nature. The constructor names would be the
same or one type may be a small extension of another.

This is something that I wouldn't worry about with Lisp, for example,
as I would create a bunch of macros for creating syntax trees and
reuse them all over. I cannot do this in Haskell, though, as my
"macros" are functions and so I must repeat them for every AST since
they return different types.

I'm wondering if Template Haskell is a suitable replacement for Lisp
macros.

What is the consensus?

	Thanks, Joel

--