[Haskell-cafe] Re: IDE support

Benedikt Schmidt beschmi at cloaked.de
Tue Apr 24 11:43:08 EDT 2007

"Claus Reinke" <claus.reinke at talk21.com> writes:

>> I use emacs exclusively for hacking Haskell, but I wanted to see
>> if it's possible to connect to the shim server-process from vim
>> and started working on omnicompletion:
>> http://shim.haskellco.de/trac/attachment/wiki/ScreenShots/vim-shim.png
>> http://shim.haskellco.de/trac/wiki/ShimVim
>> http://darcsweb.haskellco.de/darcsweb.cgi?r=shim;a=tree;f=/vim
>> I don't think I will spend much more time working on this, but
>> if anyone wants to try it out or improve it,  I would be happy
>> to answer questions and review patches.
>
> thanks, i too had been wondering about the "vim and" part of shim,
> especially about the interprocess communication. you're using vim's
> python embedding for that, but many vim users won't have python.

I'm not sure if it's possible to use the vim scripting language for
that, but i used the python embedding so that I could base everything
on the python omnicompletion.

> more importantly: is that python solution (using unix sockets
> portable, ie, would it work for windows vim users if they were asked
> to install python for that purpose?

I don't think it's portable, but Tim Newsham added support
for TCP sockets to the haskell and emacs side and it should be
pretty easy to adapt the python vim script.
Of course, you have to be careful with TCP since you can't use
file permissions to make sure that nobody else connects to the
socket.

Thanks,
  Benedikt