[Haskell-cafe] Re: release plans

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 09:18:25 EDT 2007

Hello Simon,

Tuesday, April 17, 2007, 11:51:07 AM, you wrote:

> The parallel GC code is currently sitting dormant waiting for me to go back to
> it and figure out why it isn't performing very well.  Basically I saw little or
> no speedup regardless of how many CPUs I threw at it, which suggests that the
> bottleneck might be the memory system.  I tried a few things - prefetching, for
> example - without much success.

Simon, you can investigate influence of memory speed to GC speed by
manipulating memory timings on standard GC. for example, you write
random-memory-access program, measure its slowdown when you change
memory timings, then measure slowdown of GC with the same memory
timing change

another variant - try to increase CPU speed without changing memory
speed. if this don't allow to make GC faster (including parallel GC) -
this means that process is memory-bound

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com