[Haskell-cafe] Poor first impression

C.M.Brown cmb21 at kent.ac.uk
Fri Apr 27 05:48:10 EDT 2007

Hi Fernando,

> [root at localhost ghc-6.6.1]# ghc
> /usr/local/lib/ghc-6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1: error while loading shared libraries:
> libreadline.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
> #
>
> So, I conclude that Haskell is not ready for prime time, if it cannot
> install itself correclty including shared libs in a standard Fedora Core 6
> system.
>
> Goodbye Haskell, I just wanted to compile a MP3 player, and perhaps if the
> compiler installed OK with no issues, I'd have taken a look at the language.
> But as of right now, I don't have time to waste with broken compiler
> installers.

Wow! Such a bitter response! All you need to do is install readline, found
here:

http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html

I think it's unfair to blame GHC for not having readline; the website does
indeed tell you about readline:

http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_661.html

Check out the paragraph under "Linux (x86)".

Kind regards,
Chris.