[Haskell-cafe] Poor first impression

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Fri Apr 27 06:00:26 EDT 2007

On 4/27/07, C.M.Brown <cmb21 at kent.ac.uk> wrote:

> Wow! Such a bitter response! All you need to do is install readline, found
> here:
>
> http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/readline/rltop.html

I think it's unfair to blame GHC for not having readline; the website does
> indeed tell you about readline:
>
> http://www.haskell.org/ghc/download_ghc_661.html

Thanks to all for the helpful responses. I was just operating in "automated
mode" so I didn't read all the text in the download page, just clicked to
start the download and moved on...

But just think about it... is it easier to DOCUMENT the problem or just
include a workaround in the make install code?

IF {library not available} then
echo "you need to get asdfzxcv lib. before the compiler will work. please
use yum or apt-get"

Is that too much to ask for?. The fingers of both hands are not enough to
count situations like this where developers spend more time documenting the
problem rather than fixing it with some user-friendlyness in the install
script.

Again, thanks for the help.
FC