[Haskell-cafe] COM and Haskell

Simon Marlow simonmarhaskell at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 04:06:04 EDT 2007

Andrew Appleyard wrote:
> On 26/04/2007, at 12:12 am, Bulat Ziganshin wrote:
>
>> Simon Marlow recently wrote paper about handling dynamic exceptions -
>> for me it seems that he described general system to mimic OOP in Haskell
>
> I found the paper (titled 'An Extensible Dynamically-Typed Hierarchy of
> Exceptions').  The system described is not a complete OO mapping (it
> doesn't deal with method overloading, for example) however because it is
> a recent paper and the mapping is quite lightweight it could be useful
> to me.

The best reference I know of for how to do OO in Haskell is the Kiselyov/Lämmel
OOHaskell paper: http://homepages.cwi.nl/~ralf/OOHaskell/.  Quite often you
don't need the full range of OO functionality to implement a particular
abstraction, and in that case you can pick from the menu of techniques described
in that paper.  Extensible exceptions is one particular example of an OO-like
abstraction.

Cheers,
	Simon