[Haskell-cafe] ANNOUNCE: Dimensional 0.6 -- Statically checked physical dimensions

Björn Buckwalter bjorn.buckwalter at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 16:27:47 EDT 2007

Dear all,

 I am pleased to announce version 0.6 of the Dimensional library.

 Dimensional is a library providing data types for performing
arithmetic with physical quantities and units. Information about the
physical dimensions of the quantities/units is embedded in their types
and the validity of operations is verified by the type checker at
compile time. The boxing and unboxing of numerical values as
quantities is done by multiplication and division with units.

 The library is designed to, as far as is practical, enforce/encourage
best practices [1] of unit usage.

 Noteworthy changes/additions since the previous formal announcement
(version 0.4) are:

 - All quantities and SI units from [1] have been added.
 - A Prelude replacement with the SI units and dimensional operators
(+, *, ^...) is provided for convenience.
 - Interface to Data.Time using 'fromDiffTime' and 'toDiffTime'.
 - Phantom type tags make extended dimensions safer.
 - Experimental CGS units with type safe conversions to/from SI. See
appended literate Haskell module for details.

 Additional information and code is available from the project web site [3].

 Thank you,
 Bjorn Buckwalter

 [1] http://physics.nist.gov/Pubs/SP811/
  [2] http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell/2007-May/019496.html
  [3] http://code.google.com/p/dimensional/

 ~~~~~~~~~~ BEGIN 'Buckwalter/Dimensional/CGS.lhs' ~~~~~~~~~~
 Buckwalter.Dimensional.CGS -- CGS system of units
 Bjorn Buckwalter, bjorn.buckwalter at gmail.com
 License: BSD3

 *** EXPERIMENTAL ***

 = Introduction =

 This module was prompted by an email from Chuck Blake[1]. He asked if
 the Dimensional library could support other systems of units than
 SI, in particular systems such as the centimeter-gram-second (CGS)
 system where fractional exponents of dimensions occur. He also
 wondered whether it was possible to convert quantities between
 different systems while statically ensuring that a given conversion
 was valid.

 In this module we show that we can in a straight forward manner
 support systems with rational exponents, provided that the rationals
 that may be encountered are known a priori. As an example we provide
 a rudimentary implementation of the CGS system.

 We also show that we can indeed statically prohibit invalid conversions
 between different systems.

 = Caveats =

 I'm ignorantly assuming that when working with the CGS (or MKS)
 system you will only (meaningfully?) encounter half-exponents and
 only of the length and mass dimensions. Of course, in other systems
 other rational exponents may be encountered.

 I am also assuming that the CGS system would not be employed when
 working with temperature, amount or luminosity. This is evident in
 the below type signatures where I have assumed zero extent in the
 temperature, amount and luminosity dimensions. If this is incorrect
 I would appreciate pointers to the CGS representation of these
 dimensions.

 Please correct and inform me if my assumptions are wrong!

 = Preliminaries =

 > {-# OPTIONS_GHC -fglasgow-exts -fallow-undecidable-instances #-}

 > module Buckwalter.Dimensional.CGS where

 > import Prelude ( undefined, Num, Fractional, Floating, Show, recip, Double )
 > import qualified Prelude
 > import Buckwalter.Dimensional hiding ( DLength, DMass, DTime,
DElectricCurrent )
 > import Buckwalter.Dimensional.Quantities as SIQ
 > import qualified Buckwalter.Dimensional.SIUnits as SI
 > import qualified Buckwalter.NumType as N
 > import Buckwalter.NumType ( Neg2, Neg1, Zero, Pos, Pos1, Pos2,
Pos3, NumType )
 > import Buckwalter.NumType ( neg2, neg1, zero, pos1, pos2, pos3 )
 > import Data.Maybe (catMaybes)

 = Dimensions =

 Analogously with the SI we collect the base dimensions of the CGS
 system in the data type 'CGSDim'.

 > data CGSDim lh mh t

 In the above 'lh' and 'mh' represent the number of half-exponents
 of length and mass respectively while 't' represents the number of
 whole-exponents. The base dimensions illustrate this.

 > type DLength = CGSDim Pos2 Zero Zero
 > type DMass   = CGSDim Zero Pos2 Zero
 > type DTime   = CGSDim Zero Zero Pos1

 We add a few non-base dimensions for the sake of example. Charge
 is particularly interesting as it illustrates the need for
 half-exponents as described in [2].

 > type DElectricCurrent = CGSDim Pos3 Pos1 Neg2
 > type DCharge = CGSDim Pos3 Pos1 Neg1

 = 'Mul', 'Div', 'Pow' and 'Root' instances =

 The 'Mul', 'Div', 'Pow' and 'Root' instances are strictly analogous
 with the SI.

 > instance ( N.Sum lh lh' lh''
 >          , N.Sum mh mh' mh''
 >          , N.Sum t  t'  t'' ) => Mul (CGSDim lh   mh   t)
 >                                      (CGSDim lh'  mh'  t')
 >                                      (CGSDim lh'' mh'' t'')

 > instance ( N.Sum lh lh' lh''
 >          , N.Sum mh mh' mh''
 >          , N.Sum t  t'  t'' ) => Div (CGSDim lh'' mh'' t'')
 >                                      (CGSDim lh'  mh'  t')
 >                                      (CGSDim lh   mh   t)

 > instance ( N.Mul lh x lh'
 >          , N.Mul mh x mh'
 >          , N.Mul t  x t' ) => Pow (CGSDim lh  mh  t) x
 >                                   (CGSDim lh' mh' t')

 > instance ( N.Div lh x lh'
 >          , N.Div mh x mh'
 >          , N.Div t  x t' ) => Root (CGSDim lh  mh  t) x
 >                                    (CGSDim lh' mh' t')

 = Units =

 We define the base units of the system. By defining 'meter' with a
 "scale" of 100 we get a scale of one for 'centi meter'.

 > meter  :: Num a => Unit DLength a
 > meter  = Dimensional 100
 > gram   :: Num a => Unit DMass a
 > gram   = Dimensional 1
 > second :: Num a => Unit DTime a
 > second = Dimensional 1

 We continue by defining the CGS equivalents of the other base SI
 units. Actually we limit ourselves to 'ampere' since I am not sure
 if or how the SI base dimensions other than current are expressed
 in CGS.

 > ampere :: Floating a => Unit DElectricCurrent a
 > ampere = prefix (recip 3.33564e-10) ((SI.centi meter ^ pos3) ^/
pos2 * gram ^/ pos2 * second ^ neg2)

 We also define the preferred CGS unit for charge.

 > franklin :: Floating a => Unit DCharge a -- Also known as "esu".
 > franklin = gram ^/ pos2 * (SI.centi meter ^ pos3) ^/ pos2 / second

 = Conversion from SI =

 At some point we may wish to convert an SI quantity to a CGS quantity
 or vice versa.

 In order to convert a 'Quantity' from the SI system to the CGS
 system we use the strategy of dividing the quantity by the SI base
 unit and multiplying the resulting number (sans dimension) by the
 equivalent CGS unit. To realize this strategy we must be able to
 obtain the SI base unit and the equivalent CGS unit for a given
 quantity. We start with the SI unit since it is trivial.

 > unit_SI :: Num a => Quantity (Dim l m t i th n j) a -> Unit (Dim l
m t i th n j) a
 > unit_SI _ = Dimensional 1

 (Perhaps the above function would be better defined in another
 module.)

 Obtaining the CGS unit corresponding to the SI base unit of a
 Quantity isn't quite as trivial. The function body itself is
 straight-forward enough, the hairy part is the type signature.

 > unit_CGS :: forall a l m t i l2 m2 il it l' m' t'.
 >          ( Floating a
 >          , N.Mul Zero l Zero, N.Mul Pos2 l l2
 >          , N.Mul Zero m Zero, N.Mul Pos2 m m2
 >          , N.Mul Zero t Zero, N.Mul Pos1 t t
 >          , N.Sum l2 Zero l2
 >          , N.Sum Zero m2 m2,  N.Sum m2 Zero m2
 >          , N.Sum Zero t  t
 >          , N.Mul Pos3 i  il
 >          , N.Mul Pos1 i  i
 >          , N.Mul Neg2 i  it
 >          , N.Sum l2 il l'
 >          , N.Sum m2 i  m'
 >          , N.Sum t  it t'
 >          ) => Quantity (Dim l m t i Zero Zero Zero) a -> Unit
(CGSDim l' m' t') a
 > unit_CGS _ = meter        ^ (undefined :: l)
 >            * SI.kilo gram ^ (undefined :: m)
 >            * second       ^ (undefined :: t)
 >            * ampere       ^ (undefined :: i)

 Note that since the base dimensions of the CGS are a subset of those
 of the SI the mapping of types from SI to CGS is unambiguous.

 Also note that complex as the type signature may be producing it is a
 mostly mechanical process.

 With the above two functions we can define the function that converts
 a unit from the SI. We omit the type signature since it is hairy
 but can be readily inferred.

 > fromSI x = x /~ unit_SI  x *~ unit_CGS x

 = Conversion to SI =

 We use the same strategy to convert from CGS to SI. However, when
 converting from CGS to SI there may be several valid SI dimensionalities
 for any given CGS dimensionality. We will handle this ambiguity by
 requiring the user to specify the desired type (except when it is
 inferable) of the resulting quantity.  For example:

 ] toSI (3.2 *~ centi meter) :: Length Double

 In order to do this we must employ lexically scoped type variables
 and provide the hairy type signature for the 'toSI' function.

 > toSI :: forall a l m t i l2 m2 il it l' m' t'.
 >          ( Floating a
 >          , N.Mul Zero l Zero, N.Mul Pos2 l l2
 >          , N.Mul Zero m Zero, N.Mul Pos2 m m2
 >          , N.Mul Zero t Zero, N.Mul Pos1 t t
 >          , N.Sum l2 Zero l2
 >          , N.Sum Zero m2 m2,  N.Sum m2 Zero m2
 >          , N.Sum Zero t  t
 >          , N.Mul Pos3 i  il
 >          , N.Mul Pos1 i  i
 >          , N.Mul Neg2 i  it
 >          , N.Sum l2 il l'
 >          , N.Sum m2 i  m'
 >          , N.Sum t  it t'
 >          ) => Quantity (CGSDim l' m' t') a -> Quantity (Dim l m t i
Zero Zero Zero) a
 > toSI x = x /~ unit_CGS (undefined :: Quantity (Dim l m t i Zero Zero Zero) a)
 >            *~ unit_SI  (undefined :: Quantity (Dim l m t i Zero Zero Zero) a)

 Again, the type signature is complex but deriving it is a mechanical
 process.

 = 'Show' instance =

 We round off by writing 'Show' instance for 'CGSDim' analogous to
 that of 'Dim'.

 Out of laziness we use the notation "sqrt(cm)" to represent halves
 of integral dimensions. Nothing is technically keeping us from doing
 a better job here.

 > instance forall lh mh t.
 >     ( NumType lh
 >     , NumType mh
 >     , NumType t
 >     ) => Show (CGSDim lh mh t) where
 >     show _ = (Prelude.unwords Prelude.. catMaybes)
 >              [ dimUnit "sqrt(cm)" (undefined :: lh)
 >              , dimUnit "sqrt(g)"  (undefined :: mh)
 >              , dimUnit "s"        (undefined :: t)
 >              ]

 = Examples =

 Let us try the Coulomb attraction example from [2]. We start by
 performing the calculation in the SI.

 > q_si  = 1.6021773e-19 *~ SI.coulomb -- Elementary charge in SI.
 > r_si  = 0.1 *~ SI.nano SI.meter     -- Distance in SI
 > f_si  = q_si ^ pos2 / (_4 * pi * e0 * r_si ^ pos2)
 >   where
 >       e0 = 8.8541878e-12 *~ (SI.ampere * SI.second / (SI.volt * SI.meter))

 The same calculation in the CGS system.

 > q_cgs = fromSI q_si -- Elementary charge in CGS.
 > r_cgs = fromSI r_si -- Distance in CGS
 > f_cgs = q_cgs ^ pos2 / r_cgs ^ pos2

 Inspecting the values in GHCi shows us that the results are consistent
 (within reasonable accuracy) with [2].

   *Buckwalter.Dimensional.CGS> f_si
   2.3070794737101255e-8 m kg s^-2
   *Buckwalter.Dimensional.CGS> f_cgs
   2.30708078598602e-3 sqrt(cm)^2 sqrt(g)^2 s^-2

 To convert from CGS to SI we must specify the type of the SI 'Quantity'.

 > f_si' = toSI f_cgs :: SIQ.Force Double

   *Buckwalter.Dimensional.CGS> f_si'
   2.3070807859860202e-8 m kg s^-2

 We follow up with another conversion example demonstrating the
 ambiguity in the conversion from CGS to SI.

 > c     = 1 *~ SI.farad -- A SI capacitance.
 > c_cgs = fromSI c      -- Capacitance has dimensionality L in CGS.
 > c'    = toSI c_cgs :: SIQ.Capacitance Double
 > c''   = toSI c_cgs :: Length Double

   *Buckwalter.Dimensional.CGS> c
   1.0 m^-2 kg^-1 s^4 A^2
   *Buckwalter.Dimensional.CGS> c_cgs
   8.98755691740885e11 sqrt(cm)^2
   *Buckwalter.Dimensional.CGS> c'
   1.0 m^-2 kg^-1 s^4 A^2
   *Buckwalter.Dimensional.CGS> c''
   8.98755691740885e9 m

 = Future work =

 This is a very rudimentary implementation. To make it more practical
 a significant number of quantities and units, in particularly those
 commonly used with the CGS, would need to be added. In the mean
 time all units defined for the SI can be used with the CGS by
 applying 'fromSI' to quantities defined from the SI units.

 If anyone is willing to add quantities/units (or other enhancements)
 I will happily to accept patches. Personally I do not expect to use
 this module and therefore do not intend to invest much more time
 in it. If the module has other users I might reconsider.

 And of course, another direction of future work is to define
 additional systems (e.g. natural, relativistic) using this module
 as a template. I imagine this should be fairly straight forward.