[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re: monad subexpressions

Chris Smith cdsmith at twu.net
Fri Aug 3 11:26:28 EDT 2007

Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
> We started with 4 suggestions, and as far as I can tell, are
> left with only one (<- ...).

> For the record, my comments on (<- ...) where not objections, but
> merely "thoughts out loud", and I could certainly see myself using
> that syntax in a day to day basis.

Right, I definitely didn't read your post as objecting to the syntax.

I do have concerns about it.  In particular, the section-like syntax
suggests to me (quite misleadingly) that it is somewhat self-contained.
I find myself half expecting to be able to rewrite (mapM f xs) as
(map (<- f) xs), or something like that.  In other words, the syntax
lies to me.

At the moment, though, I can't think of anything better.

--
Chris Smith