[Haskell-cafe] Pure functional GUI (was"a regressive view of support for imperativeprogramming in Haskell")

Peter Verswyvelen bf3 at telenet.be
Wed Aug 8 15:14:37 EDT 2007

As a newbie (okay I will not write this again, you all know I'm a newbie by now ;-), I don't understood what the problem of a pure functional GUI is.

To me, having an imperative background, a graphical application is just a big tree of data that evolves when events from the OS come in. (this data is NOT per se the data for the GUI element; instead use the model-view-controller design pattern) In Haskell, instead of mutating the data (as done in C/C++), a infinite stream of this tree-data is generated responding to an infinite steam of events, as in Paul's SOE book (the reactive stuff). Since most of the data can be shared, the performance impact should be minimal.

So could you please tell me more about the problem with pure functional GUIs and why this is not part of the Haskell library? I mean a GUI library completely written in Haskell, not wrapping a popular library.

Thanks,
Peter