[Haskell-cafe] Small question

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Aug 10 13:35:10 EDT 2007

Stefan O'Rear wrote:
> or, if you used the (correct and unintuitive) argument order to testBit:

GAH! >_<

Do you have ANY IDEA how many times I've got that wrong so far?? All I
can say is thank God that Haskell is a statically-typed language! The
type checker has saved my life here more times than I can count...

[I seem to recall tripping over the order that the various array
functions are expecting too...]

> x = case q .&. (1 `shiftL` 3) of
>        0 -> ...
>        _ -> ...
>
> We *want* (1 `shiftL` 3) to be reduced to 8 at compile time, but that
> doesn't seem to be happening.
>
> (And I'm not a GHC developer either.  I should probably start at some
> point...)

Heh. There seems to be a lot of people floating around here who are. And
whereas people often have to say "I am not a lawyer", round here it
seems to be frequenctly necessary to say "...but I'm not a GHC
developer". ;-)