[Haskell-cafe] Haskell vs GC'd imperative languages, threading, parallelizeability (is that a word? :-D )

Thomas Conway drtomc at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 22:21:20 EDT 2007

On Friday 10 August 2007 03:51:49 Hugh Perkins wrote:
> Getting back to the original problem, which is: threading.  Donald, one of
> the things that is very interesting about Haskell is it's potential for
> automatic threading, ie you write a trivial algorithm that looks like it
> runs in a single thread, and the runtime splits it across multiple cores
> automatically.

In the interests of clarity, it is useful and important to distinguish
between threading (i.e. concurrency) and parallelism. The former
relates to the programmer's view of the world, and the latter relates
to the computer's model of execution. As nomenclature, it is not
universal, but is very common, and helps avoid conflating two quite
different things.

cheers,
Tom
--
Dr Thomas Conway
drtomc at gmail.com

Silence is the perfectest herald of joy:
I were but little happy, if I could say how much.