[Haskell-cafe] Explaining monads

peterv bf3 at telenet.be
Mon Aug 13 13:31:48 EDT 2007

When I read "side-effects", I understand it as "unwanted effects", like
"aliasing", and "effects depending on the order of execution". I'm not sure
if my understanding here is correct. I hope Haskell does not allow
"side-effects" but only "effects", meaning the monads do not allow you to
write the typical ill-behaving code you get when doing real imperative
programming, enforcing a single wiring of execution, not allowing the
capture of the RealWorld object. In Concurrent Clean special compiler
support is present to enforce "uniqueness typing", and in Haskell special
compiler support is available to make the RealWorld object not available at
runtime (so e.g. you can't put the RealWorld object in a list). Is this
correct?

BTW: What is the correct word in Haskell for "object"? I mean the (lazy)
value you get when evaluating a data constructor?