[Haskell-cafe] out of core computing in haskell

Carter T Schonwald cartazio at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 13 16:27:03 EDT 2007

The main two use cases I have in mind are
1) really really really big abstract syntax trees or proof trees (a la compilers or theorem provers)
2) random access to numerical data

does that help clarify what i'm asking about? In each case, is there a standard way of dealing with this?
in the case of (1) the sensible way seems to me to do some sort of zipper representation which loads adjacent nodes to some depth surrounding your current location in the tree,
and in the case of (2) it seems like the sensible way would be load subsequences of the data into memory.