[Haskell-cafe] Bathroom reading

Dougal Stanton ithika at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 14:02:07 EDT 2007

On 14/08/07, Brent Yorgey <byorgey at gmail.com> wrote:
> Clearly, we need to actually put together such a book!  I'm imagining
> something where you have two mostly blank facing pages, with the code by
> itself in the middle of the right page; then the next 2-4 pages devoted to a
> short discussion of the code, how it works, related issues and techniques,
> and a list of references.  All featuring beautiful typography and fantastic
> writing, of course. =)

Oh indeed! This wasn't *completely* idle chatter on my part. I used to
work in a print shop and we did a lot of work for art and architecture
students who would do this kind of thing all the time. Fantastic
little notebook-style gifts of images and blank pages and elegant
typography. It's just a shame so many of them were terrible at
spelling! :-P

It shouldn't be too difficult to use LaTeX to this end. Once a
document class has been hammered out you can offer a range of
different booklets! The "Evolution of a Haskell Programmer" series
would be a good place to start. Bring it to your next job interview to
whip out when someone points to that bit on your CV and says, "what's
that?".

Any skilled TeXers in the house?

D.