[Haskell-cafe] Re: Re[2]: Why monad tutorials don't work

Dan Piponi dpiponi at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 16:12:42 EDT 2007

On 8/15/07, Dan Weston <westondan at imageworks.com> wrote:
> "You too could have invented Universal Algebra and Category Theory".
> I nominate Dan Piponi to write it and eagerly await its release!

I've already started on it. Well, that's not the exact title and
subject. And as an example I'll probably use the definition of tensor
product that I linked to, not the even more compact and elegant one
that you just gave.

I'm a strong believer that lots of (but not all) tricky looking
mathematics is just fancy language for intuitions that people already
have. I suspect that most computer scientists already have much of the
intuition behind the idea of a universal property, and that it is in
fact easier to grasp for a computer scientist than a mathematician.

:-)
--
Dan