[Haskell-cafe] So far, so good! Until... (Haskell 98 Report questions)

Andy Gimblett A.M.Gimblett at swansea.ac.uk
Fri Aug 17 08:05:49 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 17, 2007 at 04:50:02AM -0700, Ian Duncan wrote:

> So here's my list of questions so far:
> 1. What are nonterminals?
> 2. What are productions and substitutions?
> [snip]

Sounds to me like you want a book on language design, grammars,
parsing, etc. :-)

There are many good ones out there, but a quite nice, free, and (as it
happens, though it's irrelevant for this question) Haskellish example
is "Grammars and Parsing" by Jeuring & Swierstra (PDF, 1.2MB):

    http://www.cs.uu.nl/docs/vakken/gont/diktaat.pdf

(Ignore the Dutch foreword, the rest is in English).  Chapter 2
answers the questions asked above, with copious examples and
exercises.

Hope this helps,

-Andy

--