[Haskell-cafe] Re: Compile-time v run-time

Jon Fairbairn jon.fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk
Fri Aug 17 09:39:47 EDT 2007

Kim-Ee Yeoh <a.biurvOir4 at asuhan.com> writes:
> Jon Fairbairn wrote:
> > Something I've wanted to experiment with for a long time and
> > never got round to is writing CAFs back to the load module
> > at the end of a run (if they're small enough or took a long
> > time to evaluate).

> If RAM was treated as an extension of non-volatile
> storage instead of the other way round, we'd already
> be there.

Not exactly

> Put another way, would "suspending" program to
> disk achieve the same results?

No, because the state in RAM includes not only CAFs but data
that depends on the history of the present run.  If you only
write CAFs back, running the modified module gives the same
effect as running the unmodified version.  Resuming a
suspended programme has the effect of continuing from where
you left off.

Jón Fairbairn                                 Jon.Fairbairn at cl.cam.ac.uk