[Haskell-cafe] can't build haxml under ghc 6.7, says HughesPJ is hidden... but ghc-pkg doesn't say it's hidden...

Malcolm Wallace Malcolm.Wallace at cs.york.ac.uk
Tue Aug 21 06:39:28 EDT 2007

Thomas Hartman <thomas.hartman at db.com> wrote:
> $ runghc Setup.hs configure
> Setup.hs: Multiple description files found.  Please use only one of :
> ["HaXml.cabal","HaXml-darcs.cabal"]
>
> is there a way to specify which cabal file should be used, or do you
> just  have to  move a file out out the way?

For now, the latter (remove the unneeded file).  Ultimately, the use of
"Cabal Configurations" will allow us to revert to a single .cabal file
with sections conditional on the compiler version.

> Understanding this better is important to me because I am installing a
> number of packages on 6.7, and am reluctant to send a patch that
> breaks  backwards compabitility with earlier versions.

Multiple .cabal files are just a temporary measure for development ease.
Neither ghc-6.7 nor this version of HaXml have been released officially,
so you should not rely on any particular behaviour.

Regards,
    Malcolm