[Haskell-cafe] GHC optimisations

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 21 09:50:27 EDT 2007

Hi

> Wait, you're saying that ghc can produce "pure" c-code, that doesnt
> contain any assembly code, and that runs as fast as ghc code that does
> contain assembly?

No. It can produce pure C code (unregistered), but to get high
performance it processes the output assembly afterwards (registered).

> Sooo.... if I was feeling "evil", could I take this c-code and pipe it
> into something that turns it into C#???

You might be able to. Much easier would be to use Yhc and pass the
--dotnet flag which generates .NET binaries natively.

> macros (or any macros at all perhaps...), this becomes non-trivial,
> but otherwise I think most things in C can be mapped fairly trivially
> to C#?  (It's a one-way mapping of course, eg "delete" in C is simply
> dropped when mapped to c#).

There isn't going to be much free/delete, its all a garbage collected heap.

Thanks

Neil