[Haskell-cafe] Re: nested datatypes

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Sun Aug 26 14:52:08 EDT 2007

(Note that the term "nested data type" also/already carries the meaning
"non-regular data type", an example being
   data PerfectBinaryTree a = One a | Succ (PerfectBinaryTree (a,a))
)

Thomas Girod wrote:
> recently I was trying to represent complex data by defining several
> datatypes and nesting them, such as
>
> data Foo = Foo { foo :: Bar }
>     deriving (Eq,Show)
> data Bar = Bar { bar :: Int }
>     deriving (Eq,Show)
>
> To change only a part of the data, syntactic sugar is quite convenient. But
> it seems to be quite painful with nested datatypes.
>
> b = Bar 10
> f = Foo b
>
> foobar :: Int -> Foo -> Foo
> foobar i f =
>     let nb = (foo f){bar = i}
>     in f{foo = nb}
>
> So, my question is : is there a nifty way to modify data within a nested
> datatype, similar to the f{foo = bar} style ? If not, anyone is using some
> kind of workaround for this ?

There is a nifty way, called "functional references". They're a pair of
get and set functions

   data Ref s a = Ref { get :: s -> a, set :: a -> s -> s }

The nice thing about them is that we can compose them like functions

   o :: Ref b c -> Ref a b -> Ref a c
   f `o` g = Ref (get f . get g) (\c a -> set (set c f $ get g a) g a)

The example becomes

   data Foo = Foo Bar
   data Bar = Bar Int

   foo :: Ref Foo Bar
   foo = Ref (\(Foo x) -> x) (\x (Foo _) -> Foo y)

   bar :: Ref Bar Int
   bar = Ref (\(Bar x) -> x) (\x (Bar _) -> Bar x)

   foobar :: Ref Foo Int
   foobar = bar `o` foo

See also

   http://luqui.org/blog/archives/2007/08/05/
   haskell-state-accessors-second-attempt-composability/

and

   Sander Evers, Peter Achten, and Jan Kuper. "A Functional Programming
   Technique for Forms in Graphical User Interfaces".
   http://www.st.cs.ru.nl/papers/2005/eves2005-FFormsIFL04.pdf

Writing getter and setter functions by hand can be tedious but somebody
already automated this with Template Haskell or other other
preprocessing tools.

Regards,
apfelmus