[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.6.1 and SELinux issues

Alexander Vodomerov alexander.vodomerov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 03:01:14 EDT 2007

On Tue, Aug 28, 2007 at 08:53:05PM -0600, Stuart Jansen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-08-29 at 00:59 +0400, Alexander Vodomerov wrote:
> > In what domain do you run GHC?
>
> Sorry about that, should've dug deeper. And here we have the difference:
>
> $ ls -Z /usr/lib/ghc-6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1
> -rwxr-xr-x  root root
> system_u:object_r:unconfined_execmem_exec_t /usr/lib/ghc-6.6.1/ghc-6.6.1

This explains that GHC works fine. unconfined_execmem_exec_t gives
permission to map memory with PROT_EXEC and PROT_WRITE simultaneously.

I've put GHC in unconfined_execmem_t and it started to work fine.  But
the problem is not in GHC -- it is in programs compiled by GHC. They
also require exec/write memory. Only root can grant unconfined_execmem
privileges, so simple user can not run binaries compiled by GHC. How do
you solve this problem? Does Fedora GHC package has any additional
patches?

With best regards,
   Alexander.