[Haskell-cafe] Haskell on the Playstation 3? :-)

Peter Verswyvelen bf3 at telenet.be
Thu Aug 30 15:32:23 EDT 2007

Although I'm sure a lot can be done on modern GPU's (especially the DirectX
10 cards = Nvidia 8x00, that can write back to main memory, called "geometry
shaders"), a Playstation 3 runs Linux, doesn't cost a lot, and it has 7 CPUs
running at 3+ GHz, and 6 of these have parallel vector processing
capacities. I think it should be easier (but far from easy) to implement
Haskell on a PS3 then it is on a GPU. I developed imperative software for
both, but not in depth, but to me GPUs are still too much oriented towards
graphics, whilest the PS3 CPUs are more general purpose (although they also
expect to process streams of data).

See http://cell.scei.co.jp/e_download.html