[Haskell-cafe] Re: interaction between OS processes

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Fri Aug 31 05:31:38 EDT 2007

On Fri, Aug 31, 2007 at 12:23:42AM +0000, Aaron Denney wrote:
> On 2007-08-30, Andrea Rossato <mailing_list at istitutocolli.org> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > there's something I don't get about interaction among OS processes and
> > Haskell handles/channels.
>
> This looks like a buffering problem.  You might be able to make it work by
> explicitly setting "line buffering" with hSetBuffering

Thanks for your kind attention, but I don't think it's a matter of
buffering (I indeed tried playing with hSetBuffering with no results).

As I said I'm not even sure if what I intend to do can actually be
done...;-)

Basically I'd like to write the equivalent of "expect", which talks to
interactive programs (with the difference the mine is supposed to talk
to a program I wrote, so I don't need to embed a domain specific
language in it).

Since I don't know all this handle/channel/process interaction stuff
I'm leaning towards some other kind of server/client type of
interaction, probably with sockets...:-(

Thanks again.
Andrea