[Haskell-cafe] Re: do

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 06:50:05 EST 2007

On Dec 4, 2007 11:39 AM, Jules Bean <jules at jellybean.co.uk> wrote:
> Ben Franksen wrote:
> > I don't buy this. As has been noted by others before, IO is a very special
> > case, in that it can't be defined in Haskell itself, and there is no
> > evaluation function runIO :: IO a -> a.
>
> This is a straw man. Most monads will not have such a function:

When I first learned monads, I heard that "once you get into IO, you
can never get out".
The point here was that that doesn't generalize, so a student might
start thinking that
a monad is like a taint flag or something.  Not to say that statement
that it's a complete
falsity when generalized to other monads -- it's reflective of the
algebra of monads --
you just have to define "never" a little differently. :-)

In any case, I don't think that's a big issue.  While it is important
to eliminate things
that monads aren't from students' possible models, it's better just to
build a good model
in the first place.

FWIW, the list monad was how I made the leap from "monads do IO" to
"monads do nifty stuff".

Luke