[Haskell-cafe] Hoogle works once more

Neil Mitchell ndmitchell at gmail.com
Thu Dec 6 10:50:38 EST 2007

Hi,

I've just finished updating Hoogle (http://haskell.org/hoogle/) to
work with the latest GHC API, in particular all the base split that
has occurred and the few functions that were added. It took rather
longer than I would have liked, because of paper deadlines etc, but
its now sufficiently automated that it should only take a few seconds
next time the libraries move in new directions.

So now, if there is a function you are looking for in the core
libraries which you can't find, tell me. Equally, if any of the
documentation links lead to a 404, please do tell me.

Hoogle still doesn't search all the hackage packages (that is the
ultimate intention), just a selection of packages. The darcs URL's of
the packages it searches are:

http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/base/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/array/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/bytestring/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/Cabal/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/containers/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/directory/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/filepath/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/mtl/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/old-locale/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/old-time/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/packedstring/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/parallel/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/parsec/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/process/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/random/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/stm/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/template-haskell/
http://darcs.haskell.org/packages/time/

I picked this list based on a couple of critera:

1) The library MUST have documentation under
http://haskell.org/ghc/docs/latest/html/libraries
2) The library should have shipped with GHC at some point recently (6.6 or 6.8)
3) The library is generally useful, not task specific (Gtk2hs, OpenGL
are task specific)
4) If a library is Core to GHC, it should probably be in that list

Quite a few libraries were close decisions, aided by nothing more than
my mood at the time. In particular things like packedstring might be
worth removing, and things like cgi or html/xhtml might be worth
adding. Since this is a tool for the whole community, it makes sense
that the whole community has input on what that list should be.

Whatever list is decided upon, it will only be for the near future.
Once Hoogle 4 is finished, every library on Hackage will be searched
as an equal.

Thanks

Neil