[Haskell-cafe] IO is a bad example for Monads

Hans van Thiel hthiel.char at zonnet.nl
Tue Dec 11 08:46:02 EST 2007

On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 20:00 +0100, Henning Thielemann wrote:
[snip]

> I raise my question once again: Must Haskell's tutorials be tailored to
> impatient programmers? Does Haskell need quick&dirty hackers?
IMO yes, because it exposes the language to the outside world and that's
a form of testing. In the end, anything that's not usable is useless.
Paraphrasing a quote about science in general, "There is nothing about
Haskell that cannot be grasped by a second rate mind through
persistence." Let's not exaggerate how difficult and special it all is.
And the purpose of a tutorial is not to make the writer look smart and
important, but to ease things for the reader. I wouldn't want to exclude
the scurrilous unwashed from the Haskell experience, this close to
Christmas, too. :-)

Regards,

Hans van Thiel