[Haskell-cafe] #haskell works

Robin Green greenrd at greenrd.org
Sat Dec 15 13:54:43 EST 2007

On Sat, 15 Dec 2007 21:46:43 +0300
Bulat Ziganshin <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
> you may believe in what you want. i prefer to say about real
> situation. if it will be possible to quickly write good Haskell
> compiler, it was be written many years ago

No-one is writing a commercial Haskell compiler yet (although there is
at least one commercial Haskell-like language). What I mean is, the
amount of "commercial-oriented" funding spent on GHC (as opposed to
the "research-oriented" funding spent by Microsoft Research and various
research bodies) is, as far as I know, zero. Incentives matter. If
there were a commercial Haskell compiler, maybe we would see faster
progress.
--
Robin