[Haskell-cafe] #haskell works

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Sat Dec 15 14:13:10 EST 2007

Hello Robin,

Saturday, December 15, 2007, 9:54:43 PM, you wrote:

>> you may believe in what you want. i prefer to say about real
>> situation. if it will be possible to quickly write good Haskell
>> compiler, it was be written many years ago

> No-one is writing a commercial Haskell compiler yet (although there is
> at least one commercial Haskell-like language). What I mean is, the
> amount of "commercial-oriented" funding spent on GHC (as opposed to
> the "research-oriented" funding spent by Microsoft Research and various
> research bodies) is, as far as I know, zero. Incentives matter. If
> there were a commercial Haskell compiler, maybe we would see faster
> progress.

yes, it's one of my points. among complexity of generating efficient
code for high-level language, there are just too small resources spent
here compared to icc/gcc/msvc. i don't think that good Haskell
compiler (for simple loops) is impossible, i just don't see chances to
get it in reality

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com