[Haskell-cafe] OOP'er with (hopefully) trivial questions.....

Peter Verswyvelen bf3 at telenet.be
Mon Dec 17 12:10:50 EST 2007

Very interesting, I did not know that!

I thought newtype was an optimization of data, and that "newtype" was bad terminology. But if newtype is just a wrapper around a type, then the name is choosen well.

I'm a bit confused why then one needs a data-constructor-like tag to construct a newtype value then? Is this to avoid having to add a type signature (for type inference)? I find this a bit weird since

newtype Foo = Foo Int
bar = Foo 123

does not safe a lot of keystrokes ;) compared to

-- Incorrect Haskell follows
newtype Foo = Int
bar = 123::Foo