[Haskell-cafe] Optimizing cellular automata & the beauty of unlifted types

Sterling Clover s.clover at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 22:42:35 EST 2007

I'm curious how much of the unboxing helped performance and how much
didn't. In my experience playing with this stuff, GHC's strictness
analyzer has consistently been really excellent, given the right
hints. Unboxed tuples are generally a win, but GHC was often smarter
at unboxing ints than I was. Also, higher-order functions can be used
fine, assuming they're not awful recursive, as long as you set GHC's
unfolding threshold high enough. You can also manually force their
inlining, to really get control. I found there tended to be a "sweet
spot" for any given program, where much higher or lower would degrade
performance. As far as removing the word2int# and soforth, you could
probably just use words throughout?

Also, as we discovered the other week, you may want to be careful
with bang patterns, as forcing strictness on already evaluated values
takes some time. Although, SPJ did point out that this was
significantly improved in the new GHC.

But yes, I found that going through and manually unboxing a working
implementation with the help of type errors was actually a sort of
relaxing and zenlike exercise.

--S