[Haskell-cafe] nice simple problem for someone struggling....

Nicholls, Mark Nicholls.Mark at mtvne.com
Fri Dec 21 09:36:05 EST 2007

I'm just trying to pick up the basics....and I've managed to write this
code...which remarkably works......

module Main where

data SquareType = SquareConstructor Int

class ShapeInterface shape where

      area :: shape->Int

data ShapeType = forall a. ShapeInterface a => ShapeType a

instance ShapeInterface SquareType where

      area (SquareConstructor sideLength) = sideLength * sideLength

main = do

      putStrLn (show (area (SquareConstructor 4)))

      name <- getLine

      putStrLn ""

But my next iteration was to try to parametise SquareType....

So something like

data SquareType a = Num a => SquareConstructor a

but of course doing this breaks everything.......sepecifically the
instance declaration

`SquareType' is not applied to enough type arguments

Expected kind `*', but `SquareType' has kind `* -> *'

In the instance declaration for `ShapeInterface SquareType'

And I can't seem to get it to work.....