[Haskell-cafe] Re: Importing Data.Char speeds up ghc around 70%

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Sat Dec 22 15:55:30 EST 2007

Am Samstag, 22. Dezember 2007 21:28 schrieb Joost Behrends:

Of course, one minute after I sent my previous mail, I receive this one :(
However, one point, it might be faster to factor out all factors p in found
and only then compute the intsqrt, like

found x = x{dividend = xstop, bound = intsqrt xstop, result = result x ++
replicate k p}
	  where
	    p = divisor x
	    (xstop,k) = go (dividend x) 0
	    go n m
		| r == 0 	= go q (m+1)
		| otherwise = (n,m)
		  where
		    (q,r) = n `divMod` p

and then leaving out the recursive call in d2 etc.
For a measurable difference, you'd need a number with some high prime powers
as factors, but still, saves some work even for squares.