[Haskell-cafe] Wikipedia on first-class object

Cristian Baboi cristi at ot.onrc.ro
Thu Dec 27 04:19:08 EST 2007

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 11:10:21 +0200, Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> wrote:

> On the other hand, functions are members of types
> that are just like any other Haskell type. They are
> first-class in that sense.

I guess that would apply to any typed language.

> Like any type, only certain operations make
> sense on functions. Strings can be compared to each
> other for equality and written to a disk, and you
> can take the logarithm of a float, but none of those
> operations make sense for functions. In particular,
> two functions are equal only if they produce
> the same value for every input, and in general it is
> impossible for a computer to check that.

Yes, but one can store the result of an operation to disk except in the
particular case the result happen to be a function.

I'm not sure that in Haskell one can say that storing a value of some type
to disk is an operation defined on that type.

________ Information from NOD32 ________
This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Servers.
  part000.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com