[Haskell-cafe] Wikipedia on first-class object

Jonathan Cast jonathanccast at fastmail.fm
Thu Dec 27 10:39:25 EST 2007

On 27 Dec 2007, at 6:51 AM, Cristian Baboi wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 14:42:37 +0200, Bulat Ziganshin
> <bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello Cristian,
>>
>> Thursday, December 27, 2007, 12:19:08 PM, you wrote:
>>
>>> Yes, but one can store the result of an operation to disk except
>>> in the
>>> particular case the result happen to be a function.
>
>> how can values of type T be saved to disk?
>
> I don't know. I'm a beginner in Haskell, and I down't know about T.
> You mean they cannot ?
> I was under the impression that the purpose of computers cannot be
> fulfiled if we cannot get the result of computations out of the
> computers.

Haskell is not a computer programming language; Haskell
implementations are not required to run on computers.  Haskell is a
formal notation for computation (completely unrelated to the Von
Neuman machine sitting on your desk).  It can be implemented on Von
Neuman machines, because they are still universal Turing machines,
but it is /not/ a radical attack on the problem of programming
peripherals!

jcc