[Haskell-cafe] Wikipedia on first-class object

Cristian Baboi cristi at ot.onrc.ro
Fri Dec 28 01:49:14 EST 2007

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:45:23 +0200, Jonathan Cast
<jonathanccast at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> On 27 Dec 2007, at 9:57 AM, Cristian Baboi wrote:
>
>> Good to know. I intended to use Haskell for algorithms, but it seems it
>> is not so good at them.

> Very sad.  The entire point of Haskell is that it allows the user to
> transcend the algorithm as a way of expressing computations.

> I hope someday you may understand Haskell, rather than just criticizing
> it.

I'm begining to understand it. "Criticizing" it's just a tehnique to allow
me to understand it better.

This is what I understood:

- there is no distinction of data from functions. This seem more like a
matter of definiton: what I call X, the X + Y or just X.

- functions can be manipulated the same way as data. This does not sound
right.

- functions can be manipulated as easy as data. This seems better.

- functional programming is declarative. One may take a picture of all
those pebbles, but their arrangemant does not make sense to him because no
part of it resemble the original description.

- one cannot print "things" that cannot be traversed in a sequential way

The last two seems to be in contradiction.

________ Information from NOD32 ________
This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Servers.
  part000.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com