[Haskell-cafe] Wikipedia on first-class object

Cristian Baboi cristi at ot.onrc.ro
Fri Dec 28 01:49:13 EST 2007

On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 18:13:57 +0200, Wolfgang Jeltsch
<g9ks157k at acme.softbase.org> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 27. Dezember 2007 16:57 schrieb Cristian Baboi:
>> On Thu, 27 Dec 2007 17:52:19 +0200, Jonathan Cast
>> > Which is why Haskell treats IO as a domain specific language.
>>
>> Good to know. I intended to use Haskell for algorithms, but it seems it
>> is
>> not so good at them.

> Why is I/O needed for algorithms?

> And the fact that I/O is embedded into Haskell as a kind of a domain
> specific
> language doesn’t mean that Haskell is bad at I/O.  As Simon Peyton Jones
> put
> it: Haskell is the world’s finest imperative programming language.

An algorithm is a finite recipe that allow one to solve a class of
problems in a mechanical way.
To be able to use the algorithm one must be able to read it.
To be able to communicate the algorithm, one must be able to write it.

When I mentioned that IO is not needed for pebbles, I was joking.

________ Information from NOD32 ________
This message was checked by NOD32 Antivirus System for Linux Mail Servers.
  part000.txt - is OK
http://www.eset.com