[Haskell-cafe] Doing some things right

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Fri Dec 28 06:05:12 EST 2007

Don Stewart wrote:
> "A Wake Up Call for the Logic Programming Community"
>
> Or what the logic programming community can learn from the Haskell
> community (in particular):
>
>     http://www.cs.kuleuven.ac.be/%7Edtai/projects/ALP//newsletter/dec07/content/Articles/tom/content.html
>
> Interesting read!

"Haskell is the undisputed flagship of the FP community."

Er... really? I thought Lisp and Erlang were both infinitely more
popular and better known. Followed by Clean and O'Camal. Indeed, until I
stumbled across an article on Wikipidia quite by chance, I'd never even
*heard* of this thing called Haskell. (Note to self: Add more links to
the Haskell page on Wikipedia...)

[I actually heard a number of people tell me that learning LISP would
change my life forever because LISP has something called "macros". I
tried to learn it, and disliked it greatly. It's too messy. And what the
heck is "cdr" ment to mean anyway? To me, LISP doesn't even seem all
that different from normal languages (modulo weird syntax). Now
Haskell... that's FUN!]