[Haskell-cafe] Re: Wikipedia on first-class object

Achim Schneider barsoap at web.de
Sat Dec 29 15:47:50 EST 2007

"Peter Verswyvelen" <bf3 at telenet.be> wrote:

> It's always interesting to compare computers and humans, especially
> computer scientist seem to do that :)

Hm. More importantly, only humans try to write a general Eq and Ord
instances over different domains.

> But since it seems that plants use some kind of quantum coherence
> just to do photosynthesis (see
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photosynthesis#Quantum_mechanical_effects),
> I would not be surprised that our human brain also uses some clever
> (quantum?) tricks to achieve what it does, tricks which might not be
> simulated by a regular computer, no matter how fast it runs. But
> didn't Gödel "proved" that already somehow with its incompleteness
> theory? Nah I'm just mixing up things here ;)

That's more closely related to information hiding, emergent complexity
and stuff.

http://www.wolframscience.com/nksonline/toc.html
which doesn't really explain anything, just that most explanations are
dead wrong.

> Okay, enough of that, I'm getting seriously off topic here, and I
> don't know at all what quantum coherence is, it just sounds cool ;-)

You have my vote for the creation of comp.lang.philosophy. Or
comp.lang.esoteric.teabagswinging, if you prefer.

signature prohibited.