[Haskell-cafe] GHC throws IOError on Win32 when there is no console

John Ky newhoggy at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 17:32:22 EST 2007

Hi,

I noticed on Windows that when I use IO functions that write to stdout when
the process is lacking a console, those functions throw an IOError.  I'm not
sure if this also occurs for stderr because I haven't tried it.

Some classes of processes are created without a console because they never
interact with the user and include System services.  Crashing with IOError
in this case is difficult to diagnose because because the only symptom is
the process crashes with no visible output.

I believe the most sensible behaviour should be for those functions to not
throw, but instead do nothing.

-John