[Haskell-cafe] Haskell vs Ruby as a scripting language

Joel Reymont joelr1 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 10 09:37:43 EST 2007

On Feb 10, 2007, at 2:25 PM, Brian Smith wrote:

> Is your application primarily written in Haskell? If not, you would
> have to
> create an interface between that language and Haskell in order for
> your
> Haskell programs to manipulate your domain objects and user interface.

It would be Objective-C and Haskell, the exact split yet unknown.

You already have this in HOC (http://hoc.sourceforge.net/)

> My guess is that it
> would be easier to do such bindings for Javascript due to its
> dynamic nature
> and it being an object-oriented language. Also, several projects have
> embedded Javascript successfully and so you would have many
> examples to base
> your project on.

I don't see how this is different from Ruby.

> Visual Haskell also embeds GHC (into Visual Studio). However,
> Visual Haskell
> makes my Visual Studio unstable and often unresponsive.

I'm not sure this would apply to me as I'm on Mac OSX.

> But, there were disadvantages too (e.g. I had to implement my
> own lexer because doing doing it with GHC via IPC was too slow for
> interactive use).

Well, yes, I would want syntax highlighting and formatting. I would,
in fact, need a built-in Haskell IDE.

> Also, I recommend looking into embedding YHC. I have not had a
> chance to use
> it yet, but it looks like it is a better fit to an "interpreter-only"
> embedding situation than GHC--with GHC, you are getting a lot more
> than you
> seem to be asking for.

I would want to compile code as well. Compile bits of code <100 lines
at a time and load them back into my app for execution. Does YHC
compile and how efficiently?

	Thanks, Joel

--
http://wagerlabs.com/